Becoming a Stronger Christian




I realized last night that I could look up Greg Laurie's sermons too on iTunes after I already downloaded Charles Stanley's. I am so happy I found him on there. I listened to his message this morning on my way to class and it was just the message I needed to hear. Once I got to class on my breaks I went to the computer lab to do some research and see if I could find Greg Laurie's website and lo and behold I was able to actually find summaries of his sermons as well. I printed it out and started reading over it and adding to my notes from the morning ride.

Greg Laurie is doing a series on Secrets of Spiritual Growth. 
Through out this first part of his sermons series, I focused on "What makes someone a strong Christian?"

All of this refers to Psalm 18:7-11 and he broke the sermon apart into 5 points. 

What makes someone a strong Christian and how do they become one? Well it is pretty much our desire to become a strong Christian. If that is what we want, we will put everything into that. It is our decision. Just like anything else we can't expect for this to just happen over night, we need to work at it. 
The most important way to becoming a better Christian is by being in the Word and obeying what it says. The Word is perfect, transforms us, gives wisdom, is always right and it makes you happy! Greg started off with 'If you want to be a successful Christian, you must read, study, and love the Word of God.' 

The Word is perfect and it is the same today, tomorrow and yesterday and always will be. It the only thing that you can go to whenever you need encouragement and there is always an answer that will help you. There are no contradictions or room for debate. The Word is what it is and we need to take it as it is. 
2 Timothy 3:16 says all scripture is inspired by God (who is perfect) therefore there can be no mistakes. 

Reading the Bible should become a habit and something that we want to do. It guides us through life; what we need to change or what we feel we need to do. In this we can be shown how God can and will lead us to become a stronger Christian. The word will transform us and who we are. 
In James 1:22-25 it explains how we need not be hearers but doers as well. It says do what the Word says. When Greg Laurie talked about these verses he gave this example; imagine you're out in public and everyone looks at you and laughs or points and you go into the bathroom, look in the mirror and you had something on your face. Most likely you will take it off and go about your way. You would never look at it and just leave it there. In the same sense the Bible will show us what we need to change in life, to become a stronger Christian. Whether it's a sin or something God wants you to do to better yourself. Are you just going to read it and ignore it or will you put it into action. 
The word will guide us on telling us how to live. It's like an instruction manual that will show you the way we need to live. If we obey what the Word says we will be blessed. 

In order for the Word to give us wisdom it has to be sure (point 1), which it is. Looking at the world through wordly eyes we will see money, competition and lust. Being in the Word will give us an ability to see the world in God's perspective. Don't take what the world offers; live to make it more worthy of God. Once we view the world through God's eyes, we will be able to focus less on what the world gives and more of God's wisdom. What I always wanted in the world vs. what God is showing me I need in life. 

The Word is right. Not just stating what is written is the truth but meaning the Bible sets out the right path to follow. This is how it should be done - so do it. We need to accommodate our way of thinking to what the Bible says. Rather than taking what the bible says and comply it to how we think. Just like I stated earlier on how we need to take the Word for what it is; not changing it around for our liking. If we do it that way, we won't be on God's path but our own; which gets us nowhere. If you disagree with what the Word is saying, it's not the scripture that needs to be changed but it's our attitude. 

Reading and obeying the Word will bring you happiness. I have definitely seen a change in my life ever since I have been in the world more. I have had a happiness that I couldn't get from anywhere else. I am mostly happy because I always wanted to understand the Word more and obviously the first step is to open the Bible and actually read. 'In keeping them (scripture) there is a greater reward.' God won't disappoint you and if you feel like He is, maybe you're not doing what you are suppose to be doing. You need to do your part. You can't win the race if you don't run. Luke 11:28 says "Blessed rather those who hear the Word of God and obey it.' Also Psalm 1 talks about the happiness we get from following and obeying Christ. 

We will always be happy because we don't need to be worried about the punishment of sin, because we are forgiven.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Prayer

The 'Traditional Family'

Who Are We?