The 'Traditional Family'



Tuesday while listening to Greg Laurie, he said something that really hit home and I began to feel sad, upset, hurt and even a little angry. This is what he said and I quote 
"The idea of a traditional family seems to be something of the past. So many broken homes today... We have to visit dad and his new wife and we have to visit mom and her new boyfriend and I have all these new step brothers and sisters and the whole thing is sort of...icky. Uncomfortable. Awkward." -Greg Laurie 

Well Pastor Greg, you hit that one spot on. Before he made that quote he addressed that there are broken home in the result of divorce. However, to be in that situation he described doesn't always have to be the result of a divorce. It could simply be the result of ignorance as well! 

Growing up, I always told myself I would never have a broken family, and if you have kept up with my blog you have heard that plenty of times. 
Well no one ever wants to have a broken family. But for me, that was the main thing I wanted to make sure of, my child always had their father around. Becoming pregnant at a young age required a lot of growing up in a short amount, 9 months to be exact. 
Hearing those words for Greg Laurie hurt because in a way it sounded like he was...mocking the situation. It hurt because I'm who he is talking about. My child will have step siblings, a step mother and God willing a step dad. The whole 'step' term just makes my stomach turn. I just whole heartily don't like it. 

I'm beginning to grow a wonderful relationship with my son's father's girlfriend who surprisingly is pregnant with my son's step brother. The relationship I'm growing with her is fantastic. It's great to experience how close we are and how much she likes my son but it still doesn't make the situation better. 
In a way I think I'll always think in the back of my head that my son is missing out on that 'traditional family of the past.' He will never experience his own father and mother in the same household raising him. He will never know what it feels like to share a Father's Day with his father. He'll never get that experience of having his father in his life the way a 'traditional family' does. 
I am always told and I truly believe my son isn't the one missing out. That's absolutely true. But that doesn't stop the hurt I have that he can't grow up in a household a 'traditional family' does of two parents and their siblings. 

Within the past month I have had two people tell me that they are praying that I find a Godly man who will love me and my son and be a father figure to him. That's on the top of my prayer list myself and it makes me even more hopefully, hearing that others are praying for me and my son as well. I know that if it is in God's plan that He will send me that man to guide my little family. I pray that this man will be the greatest father to my son and that Kye will never feel as though he is missing out on that 'traditional family.' 


'But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. I say this as a concession, not as a command.' (1 Corinthians 7:2-6 NIV)

I believe this is one of the most meaningful verses in the Bible. Man is made for woman and they are to join as one. I am praying for that day when God gives me mine that I will be with forever! 

For until then I know it is my duty to be my son's everything! Although this is not what I wanted for my child, I can only fully enjoy every moment of his life. I get to experience double of everything. As selfish as it sounds I don't have to share his qualities with the other half. Another plus about the situation I am in is that my son won't have to grow up in a household where they might feel the need to choice between two ways of living. God knew what He was doing when it continuously didn't work out between his father and I. I believe He was pushing me to where I can provide my son with a Godly and positive household and prepare us for a man to come into our lives that have the same beliefs and us. 

'People plan their path, but the Lord secures their steps.'Proverbs 16:9

That is a verse I live by. Everything happens for a reason because God has a better plan. Things didn't work out the way I wanted because God knows I deserve better. He is saving me for some one so special and I can not wait until that day I meet him. For my son to meet him and for my new life to begin. 

Don't feel as though you are being left out, rethink those thoughts and understand God is keeping you on the sideline until He knows you are ready. He doesn't want you to go through disappointment after disappointment. He wants to make sure you are fully ready to experience the greatest plan He has for you. Never doubt God and His timing. His timing is perfect and everything will come at the right time! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Prayer

Godly 'Mothering'