Devoting Myself to Prayer



During today's sermon God spoke to me about something I am currently going through. The sermon was about devoting ourselves to prayer but Pastor Bob also spoke on how we are never alone. While speaking about devoting ourselves to prayer, Pastor Bob broke down the meaning of devoting ourselves. What does it mean to devote? It can mean, 'to make room for something', 'to create space' or 'to be intentional'. All of these are true for me. If I devote myself to prayer that means I am taking something out to make room for something better. I am taking away worry to make room for comfort and time with God. I am taking away guilt to make room for the promise of God's grace. I am taking away loneliness to make room for feeling God's presence.
Loneliness has been my cry for a few years now. 'I am lonely. I am all by myself. I don't have anyone else if I don't have comfort in you.' I have been singing that song for too long. God tells me I am never alone:

Psalm 23:4
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me. 

Psalm 34:4
I sought the LORD, and He answered me;
He delivered me from all my fears.


God has been and always will be right by my side. I am never alone through these confusing and challenging times I am facing in my life, personally. God is right next to me experiencing this with me. Not only is He right there with me but He is so willing to help. If only I would devote myself to knowing this. I need to find comfort in this. God has me here, in this time, to bring me closer to Him. I need to just let go of the demons I am carrying around and understand that God is right here. He sees what I see and He knows how to fix this. If only, I would give it all over to Him. If only, I would devote myself to prayer.

Making the decision to decide.

To choose to decide and trust in God or to deal with the uncertainties of life. If I would just choose to trust God when things are strange I would feel His presence more.


Pastor Bob also referenced this song I know all too well. However, after this message it brings a whole new meaning.



God, bring me to devote myself in prayer. To devote myself to you. Help me to start with devotion so I can experience your presence more. Amen.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Prayer

The 'Traditional Family'

Who Are We?