Have You Done It?


Well, we are coming up on week 6 of this social distancing, mask wearing, essential outings only, quarantine lifestyle. Ha! If I would have read that 5 years ago I would have been so confused. Who would have thought we would be living this kind of life here in 2020?  It's literally crazy nonsense!

Anyway, I am thankful. I am thankful for this crazy quarantine lifestyle because it actually brought a lot of goodness. One thing it has brought me is a bible study! I have not been a part of a bible study in a very long time, due to work, not having childcare and my own lame excuses. That is what it comes down to, my excuses, right? Well, I am now able to attend a bible study through my work. We have a weekly zoom and I am so thankful for that. 


We are reading Forgotten God by Francis Chan. Francis Chan never fails to impress me with his God given talent to write and express God's love through his words. They are so powerful, meaningful, harsh and loving. I wanted to write about a little snippet that has been on my mind ever since I read this chapter, 3 or 4 weeks ago. 


In chapter 3, Francis writes about the way his daughter, Mercy, reacted to his preaching of one of Peter's messages. 

Francis writes:

" 'Dad, I want to repent of my sins and be baptized and receive the gifts of the Holy Spirit.' I loved the simplicity and greatness of her [Mercy's] faith. She didn't need to debate the finer points of how and when, exactly, the Holy Spirit would come. She just wanted to obey the passage to the best of her ability. I realize Mercy doesn't have the biblical knowledge many of us do, but I wonder how many of us have the faith she has. 
Is that your response to the Word? Is it clear to you that you're supposed to repent, be baptized, and receive the Holy Spirt? If so, have you done it? If not, what keeps you from doing it today?
Why do we sometimes feel the need to debate this endlessly, running through every possible hypothetical situation and answering every theological question first? "

Wow. How true is this though? If this is so clear, why do we feel the need to debate it. I totally understand wanting an explanation, but to God's word? Why? Why do we need that explanation? Maybe it's just human nature to need to know why before we do something. But this is God, this is His son telling us what we need to do to receive the Spirit, and that alone should be enough. 
When I read that question at the end of that snippet, "Have you done it?" I was very quick to say, yes! I have repented(and continue to do so), I have been baptized so then I have received the Holy Spirit. That is something I know for sure. The Holy Spirit is in me because God lead me to know how to receive the Spirit, through His word and I have done so. Sometimes I struggle, a lot, to show that the Spirit lives in me. However, I know for a fact that He is there. 

This whole chapter hit me hard but that one passage really meant a lot to me. I am thankful to God that He allows us the opportunity to have His Spirit living in us. God has done so much for us. He gave us His Son as the ultimate sacrifice and then proceeded to give us His Spirit. That is enough for me. I do not need any further explanation. All I can feel now is thankfulness, gratefulness, and loved. Such a powerful God is willing to give, give, give for me and for you. How do we not rejoice and praise Him constantly? 

I pray that I figure out this life soon enough and that I am able to constantly praise Him with the way I speak, the way I act, the way others see me and the way I present myself to the world. I pray that God continue to work through me in all these ways so that I can lead people to Christ. I pray that just becomes the way I live life. I know it won't ever be 'easy' and become 'natural instinct' because then we wouldn't need the Spirit. I pray that I get out of the way and let the Spirit do His work through me.  


There is so much feeling in that one little snippet of Francis Chan's book. It spoke to me, hard, and I pray it speaks to you as well! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Prayer

The 'Traditional Family'

Who Are We?